Read&Write for Google is designed to work in conjunction with our G Suite accounts, Google Chromebooks and is also available at home from the Chrome browser! Read&Write was designed to support students engage with digital content in a way that suits their abilities and learning styles. Read&Write offers:
- Text-to-speech to hear words, passages, or whole documents read aloud with easy-to-follow dual color highlighting
- Text and picture dictionaries to see the meaning of words explained
- With speech-to-text, dictate words to assist with writing, proofreading & studying
- Word prediction offers suggestions for the current or next word as you type
- Collect highlights from text in documents or the web for summarizing and research
- Create and listen to voice notes directly inside of Google Docs
- Simplify and summarize text on web pages to remove ads and other copy that can be distracting
- Confidence booster for English Language Learners, or anyone who needs a little help with their reading and writing.
- Includes valuable extra features that discreetly support students with dyslexia and other learning difficulties
How to Install Read&Write for Google
Read&Writeâ€™s extension can be installed from the Chrome Web Store. This step only needs to be completed once and will remain with the student’s G Suite account. Follow the steps below to install the Read&Write Chrome extension:
- Open Google Chrome or a Chromebook and navigate to the Chrome Web Store.
- Enter “Read and Write” in the search box in the top left corner of the page or click this Read&Write link .
- Locate â€œRead&Write for Google Chromeâ€ under extensions, then select the Add to Chrome button.
- Select the Add extension button in the pop-up window near the Chrome address bar.
- Click on the Read&Write icon (a purple puzzle piece) in the top right corner of Chrome.
- After being prompted to sign in to your Google account, select the Allow button.
Once the extension is installed, a purple icon will appear in the upper right hand corner of the browser. Clicking on this purple button will open the Read&Write for Google toolbar. Below is a short two-minute video overview of Read&Write for Google. Also, please make sure to download the Read&Write for Google Chrome Quick Reference Guide .
If you have questions on using Read&Write for Google, please contact Director of Technology Luke Callahan at firstname.lastname@example.org.